One scroll through Instagram reveals that the wellness trend is still alive and, er… well. As we live longer, healthier lives, this is a trend that is likely to continue. Whether or not you are actively pursuing a state of wellness yourself, you can gain the skills and knowledge necessary to cater to the demand created by this trend.
The five key areas that are taught as part of the Bachelor of Health Science (Acupuncture) are acupuncture, Chinese massage, Chinese herbs, Chinese dietary therapy and Chinese exercise therapy. Each of these therapies can be used in isolation or can all work together to keep the Yin and Yang (the energy within an individual) in harmony thereby creating a state of wellness. All five of these methods are taught via Endeavour: Natural College of Health
- Acupuncture, an alternative medical method involving placing small sterile needles along a person’s energy lines was once considered a controversial activity, however, in recent years has been gaining in popularity and has become more mainstream. Acupuncture can be used to help treat insomnia, anxiety, migraines and depression.
- Chinese massage, also known as Tui Na, which is performed on a fully clothed client and involves pinching and pulling a client’s muscles.
- Chinese exercise therapy includes two similar methods known as Tai Chi and Qi Gong which both focus on deep breathing while executing various different body poses and movements.
- Chinese dietary therapy is designed to create wellness from the inside out. Client’s diets can be assessed for foods that may be harming the internal balance (Yin and Yang) of a client. Diets and recipes along with specific cooking methods may be prescribed to a client.
- Chinese herbs are used in more serious health cases as they can be as strong as pharmaceutical drugs. Reducing alcohol and spicy foods may also be advised when Chinese herbs are being taken.
Once you have completed a Bachelor of Health Science and gained these skills you can apply to become a nationally recognised acupuncturist which will open up various career paths for you. Please refer to the infographic for four of the most popular career paths for acupuncturists.