Whether you are wearing a wig as a fashion statement or due to some medical reasons, they most certainly can give you a boost of confidence and make you feel more beautiful. This hair modality is quickly shifting from being a medical necessity to a fashion commodity. There are thousands of options available for you to choose from and the variety and versatility of these hairpieces are enough to spoil anyone for choice.
It is not only important to invest a large amount of money in your top quality human hair wig, but also equally important to take care of it. The better you look after the hairpiece, the longer it will stay with you. Even the most premium wigs made from human hair need taking care of as they are real just like your natural hair, and need to be handled delicately. It is of utmost importance that you heed the advice of your wig manufacturer and handle the wig as you are advised.
With that said, here are some tips that you can use to keep your hairpieces for women in perfect condition:
- While styling your wig, try to use your fingers instead of combs and brushes. Invest in hair styling tools made specifically for wigs.
- Use haircare products like gels, creams and sprays sparingly on the wigs as they can be hard to get out later on. Again, look to use products specifically designed for hairpieces to avoid this problem.
- Consider going to a professional stylist if you want to dramatically change the look and style of your wig.
When and how to wash your wig
No matter what wig you have chosen, you need to be very vigilant about keeping it clean, especially if you are used to applying products to style the wig. You need to invest in good quality wig shampoo and wig conditioner to clean it properly. Wash your wig once a week if you wear it daily and once a month if your use is occasional.
How to wash a natural human hair wig
The process of washing a wig is pretty straightforward. It is like washing your own hair, but it’s preferred to wash it separately than on your head in the shower.
Here’s how to do that:
- Firstly, prep the wig before you wash it with any wig shampoo. Using a wide-toothed comb, smooth out the hair before you start washing it. Be gentle and do not pull on the hair.
- Now start by pouring lukewarm water on the wig to make it wet. Hold it in one hand while you pour out water with the other so that the wig is wet, but not soaking wet.
- Use a small amount of wig shampoo to gently wash away any dirt or product gathered in the wig. Slowly build up a lather and wash the wig thoroughly.
- Wig shampoos are made especially for the wigs and are gentle cleansers formulated without sulfates and parabens ideally.
- After a thorough cleansing, wash the wig under running water. Be careful not to wring or twist the hair.
- Now use a wig conditioner and apply a small amount on the hair and work through the whole length of hair. Let the wig conditioner sit in for a little while and then rinse hair with lukewarm water thoroughly.
- Keep the water running until it runs clean.
- Put the wig on a stand to dry. No need to rub it with a towel, wring or twist.
- Once your wig is dry, you are ready to style it for the next time you wear it.
If you need more info on wig shampoos and conditioners, you can refer to the following video:
Don’t forget tag us at @Superhairpieces and #Superhairpieces on your social media channels to get a shoutout! And make sure to like us on Facebook, follow on Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel!